General Manager, Plantation
Client : A Natural Resources Company
Job Title : General Manager
Reporting Line : CEO
Location : Indonesia
Job Duties :
- Overall responsible for managing a business unit of 70,000 to 110,000 hectares of plantation during land development (GTT, Land Clearing, Socialization), immature and matured stage
- Provide leadership for effective implementation of operational level business plans and achievement of key targets within the environmental and social sustainability standards
- As a member of the senior management team, engage in reviewing and updating policies, procedures and systems, as well as adopting industry best practices
- Evaluate and implement special initiatives at operational level in order to enhance overall productivity, cost management and achieve operational excellence
- Manage and control all plantation projects, formulate and consolidate the operating budgets for these projects as well as supervise the operational and administrative functions of the estates and mills in Indonesia
- Advise the Estatel Managers on technical matters pertaining to sustainable Plantation development and management Strategies
- Supervise the Estate Managers and Assistants in their key job functions
- Ensure that all plantation and mill projects meet all the requirements of the RSPO for
- Sustainability, stay within project specifications and are implemented within the guidelines approved by the CEO/The Board
- Maintain good public relations with public and private sector officials and other stakeholders who from where the plantations projects are located, including Local Level
- Gvernments, Mosques, Churches, Tribal Leaders and Non-Governmental Organizations
- Maintain day to day contact and represent the Company’s interests with all stakeholders including community leaders, business and plasma partners
- Direct responsible and accountable for successfully establishing to standards and managing for value and profitability all the oil palm Inti & Plasma plantations to meet company objectives.
- Set up and implement monitoring parameters to monitor the financial performance and physical development of the plantation projects to ensure that the approved budget and plantation development time-table are adhered to
- Formulate and implement GTT, Land Clearing and Socialization and the Technical Agricultural Policy for Oil Palms
- Assist in the formulation and implementation of the EHS Policy for Oil Palm plantations and Oil Mills
- Maximize crop production by:
- Ensuring orderly seedling growth in the oil palm nurseries
- Ensuring planting targets are achieved in time to Company standards
- Ensuring orderly development of the immature oil palms
- Ensuring immature plantings are brought into harvesting 24 months after planting with high early yield
- Ensuring full recovery of all available crops
- Ensuring all crops harvested conforms to requisite quality parameters
- Obtaining full yield potential through the adoption of correct agro-management best practices in the nursery, immature and mature phases of management
- Ensuring operating and production cost stays within budgeted levels
- Ensuring effective follow-up on all operational and process improvement recommendations
- Review and improve efficiency of all estate operations by adopting established market benchmarks and best practices
- Enhance the quality and performance of plantations staff by:
- Assess management capabilities during the course of estate visits and taking appropriate action to address deficiencies if any.
- Take note of skill deficiencies and making recommendations for training and where appropriate, for the transfer, promotion and/or discipline of staff.
- Undertake performance appraisal of the Estate Managers and Assistants.
- Recommend and be actively involved in recruitment of plantation staff and workers.
- Improve productivity and thereby reduce production costs to ensure profitability.
- Formulate the Estate budgets for approval by the CEO and The Board.
- Degree in Agricultural Sciences or related fields, an MBA will be an advantage
- Have all round exposure and intimate knowledge in all aspects of the oil palm industry encompassing jungle planting, mature and immature area, milling of FFB, marketing of CPO and Kernel and also be conversant with the economics of installing refineries.
- Minimum of 8-10 years in senior management capacity with plantation management experience of a sizable group
- Good knowledge and experience in oil palm plantation development especially new planting in tropical jungle, operational costs, manpower planning, EMS & EHS protocols, RSPO, community development, Government Relations and Plasma protocols
- Computer literate and able to analyze, review and optimize critical paths for successful oil palm plantation project implementation
- Prudent allocation of resources and finances and minimization of cost
- Able to use statistical and graphical analyses of the full range of plantation data to predict long term production and financial viability & sustainability of individual plantation projects, especially during periods of low commodity prices
- Able to understand, dissect and analyze plantation accounts, operating budgets and yield statistics to assess past company performance and future risks to financial sustainability
- Able to make “Board Room” presentations of planting, production and financial data and analysis in a “user friendly style” demonstrating understanding of basic financial and business management principles
- Able to coordinate and manage the time-tables of Estate & Mill Managers in a timely, efficient manner and be able to cultivate teamwork in tackling plantation project work programs
- Exhibit a high level of inter-personal skills and the ability to interact and influence stakeholders at senior levels to adopt company strategies and programs for successful oil palm plantation project implementation
- Possess proven man management and oil palm plantation project management experience over a period of not less than 8 years, related to all of the above activities
- Plantation experience in East / West Kalimantan will be a valuable asset
- Possess high integrity and business ethics of the highest order
- Effective leader who understand Indonesian work culture and team dynamics
- Analytical and Innovative with conceptual ability and business acumen
- Ability to translate plantation policy statements and strategies into action plans that are realistic and achievable
- Cost-conscious and result orientated
- Ability to differentiate right from wrong and to take remedial actions without fear or favour
- Technically competent in the agro-management aspects of oil palm plantation
- Management (Inti & Plasma).
Applicants who do not hear from us within 4 weeks may consider their applications unsuccessful. All personal data collected will be kept in strict confidence and will only be used for recruitment purpose